Rubbish bins

State Government Legislation and Policy

Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Act 2007

Waste management is governed in WA by the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Act 2007 (WARR Act). Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Act 2007 (WARR Act) and the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Levy Act 2007 (WARRL).

The primary objects of the WARR Act are to contribute to sustainability and the protection of human health and environment and move towards a zero-waste society by:

  • Promoting the most efficient use of resources, including resource recovery and waste avoidance
  • Reducing environmental harm, including pollution through waste; and
  • The consideration of resource management options against the waste hierarchy
  • The WARR Act also establishes the Waste Authority and tasks them with the development of a State Waste Strategy.

State Waste Strategy

Under the WARR Act 2007 the Waste Authority developed, promotes and reviews a waste strategy for WA and coordinate its implementation.

Western Australian Waste Strategy: Creating the right environment was launched in 2012 and is the blueprint is the blueprint for the way in which waste issues are managed in WA.

For more information, visit the Waste Authority website.

Landfill Levy

The Waste Avoidance Resource Recovery Levy is a fee payable on all waste generated and/or landfilled in the metropolitan region. The Levy is currently set at $60/tonne for putrescible waste and $75 per cubic metre for inert waste.

When it was established, all funds raised through the Levy went into the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account, and were fully hypothecated to waste management activities. This changed with the introduction of the WARR Amendment Act 2009.

Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Amendment Act 2009

In 2009 the State Government introduced an amendment act which sought to remove the hypothecation of the WARR Levy. This Act passed in late 2009.

Previously any funds raised through the WARR Levy would be spent on activities relating to waste management however following the passing of the Amendment Act, only 25% of the funds from the Levy are now spent on waste management. The remaining 75% go to fund the activities of the Department of Environment and Conservation.

This change to the WARR Act was accompanied by a substantial increase in the WARR Levy. The Levy jumped from $8/tonne to $28/tonne.